Saturday, February 14, 2004

This week was full of decision making! I had a routine appointment scheduled on Thursday, so at the beginning of the week Bill and I had a pow-wow and made some concrete plans about the birth.

As everyone knows, my past 3 births have been really stressful. Without going into detail, I can sum it up with the birth of our 3rd son, via VBAC. I had an epidural at around 7cm, and could not feel much at all. During late transition, my BP went down, and my sons heart rate fell drastically into the 60's and 70's, and was not recovering very well......not your typical decelerations for sure. They were prolonged, late, sickening drops in his HR that went on forever. We watched it for a bit, and I tried to push, and with each push, his HR dropped and stayed down. My doctor feared uterine rupture from the old c-section scar. I was prepped for an emergency c-section. I was flipped to my left side and I remember looking up at my husband and he was crying. It is hard to put into words how that made me feel. All I can say is, I don't want to put him through that again. Quinn was born spontaneously as they started to wheel me out to surgery. It was amazing and VERY overwhelming.

So, we have decided to schedule a c-section and get Amelia here safe and sound. The date is set for March 22nd. Having a date set, I can get my ducks in a row and make some plans. I want my best friend, who is a doctor, to be in the OR with us. She is an anesthesiologist, and will be there as my friend, unless her skills are needed with the baby or myself for intubations etc. Her husband is my doctor, so I will have two of the best there for the baby and I.

So much worry, many sleepless nights and prayer have gone into this decision. I have gone back and forth many times. My husband is a very intelligent, quiet, and gentle man, who keeps his opinion to himself for the most part. When he speaks up, 9 out of 10 times he is right. The other morning he spoke up, and I feel 100% that he is right. The risks of another VBAC out-weight the benefits this time. The stakes are too high, and all we want, all that matters, is a healthy mom and baby.

I feel like a 1000lb weight has been lifted off my back. I am sleeping again at night, and although major surgery scares me a bit too, I really feel at ease now.

So, I went to the doctor on Thursday, and we got out the calendar and picked a date that would be optimal for the baby and ensure for a good crew at the little hospital we will use.

Amelia is doing great. Her HR was fine, my fundal height was right on, my BP nice and low at 90/60, and it seems that the bronchitis, though still pretty bad, is clearing up finally. We also discussed who will be my backup physician while my doc is out of town during my 38th week. It was decided that an OB doc that I have seen before in Victoria will cover that time. If I do go into labor, we will have to drive about 50 miles to the hospital....blah. The good news about this is that it is a big hospital, so if I do go into labor, I might VBAC there. Unlike the little rural hospital I will be delivering in here, they have the means to handle an emergency if it arises. I went into labor with Quinn at 38 weeks, so, we will just have to see what happens. ;*)

So, if I don't go into labor before hand, it looks like March 22nd is the big day! I think I have everything ready here. I have all my supplies and such.....just need a baby now!

Only 37 more days left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home